Monday, February 24, 2014

Michael Nostalgia: Moon Walker



This weekend  I took a trip down memory lane when I indulged my inner child and watched Michael Jackson's Moonwalker. I don't think I can put into words the pivotal role this video/mini movie played in my young life. Between the ages of three and seven I believe I watched this movie a total of 300 times. It was a main stay at family gatherings with my cousins Justin and Courtney as well as a well watched movie at kindergarten and first grade sleep overs. And nothing could beat the sad and scary feeling we would all get each time we saw Michael turn into a robot car air plane thing.

But after watching Moonwalker at my current age I have to wonder why I was so in aww. Besides the fact that Michael Jackson was the most popular artist in the world in 80's and early 90's, what did this over the top mini movie music video have to offer? Was it music? Was it the historical montage of his music career thus far? Was it child actors that included Sean Lennon, The Boys and Brandon Adams? Or his Beatles tribute? Maybe it was a combination. Michael managed to mix his love of Disney, cartoons, music, dancing, 30's gangster movies, children and the supernatural into a body of work that captivated his essence, spoke to the time and promoted his messages for social change. At seven I would have never caught his  subtle protests against drugs, violence and childhood hunger. Even though I did not leave with the initial feelings I had as a child, I appreciate the this piece of work the the late great King of Pop left us.

No comments:

Post a Comment