Sunday, May 19, 2013

Just Thinking

Sometimes I wonder why I went to school for journalism. The struggle of doing work for a grade has taken the joy out of writing. I was so much better at writing papers on historical events or analyzing topics when I was in undergrad, but I have yet to create the connect in grad school since I am often the one finding the facts and not just reading them. I have had professors give many ideas on how to become a better writer suggesting I write like I'm talking to a friend or write like you would have a conversation. These are helpful tips, but I wouldn't dare write how I talk seeing as I don't speak the best English and when I do it's often too "ethnic" for my current Caucasian audience to understand. I struggle with taking the advice of others and incorporating it with who I want to be as a writer. Which is the cause of much of my problems with grad school. How can you truly grade journalism when writing is sublective. I get checking for grammar, word usage, etc... but how can you grade how someone views or sees an event? Mark, Paul, Luke and John barred witness to the same events in life of Christ, yet told them in four different ways, payed attention to different things, highlighted different details. I have not heard anyone say that Mark's story was wrong because it didn't completely match up with Lukes. So how is a professor to tell me I missed something because he read "Molly's" story online? Logically you shouldn't, but I guess that's my logic. For now I will just give my current audience what they want. So much for establishing and having a voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment